Thursday, August 18, 2011

Photos Shopkeepers Show / Walshes Shop




This week another photograph sent to me recently by retired Garda John Murphy, formerly of St. Michael’s Terrace.  It shows the cast of another show put on in the early 1960s as part of the Factories/Shopkeepers Reviews.  As in last week’s photographs I can recognise some of the performers but cannot be certain as to the group they represented.  Again, an appeal to the readers to help identify those photographed and the show in which they performed. 

The second photograph came to me many months ago from Ann Smith who couldn’t be sure if it was of relevance to Athy.  For myself I believe it is a photograph of Walsh’s shop which was located in Leinster Street at the corner of Chapel Lane.  Daney Walsh, father of Tommy Walsh, both of whom acted with the Social Club Players in the 1940s and 1950s, was a member of the Walsh family who operated the shop. 

Can anyone confirm if I am right and identify the man and indeed the two girls standing outside the shop?

No comments: